Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Taco Soup

1 can fat free refried beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can chili beans
1 envelope taco seasoning or 1 envelope Ranch dressing mix
1 large can tomatoes (vary depending on how chunky you like your soup, I usually buy crushed)
1/2 lb. ground meat, browned

Throw all the ingredients into the crock pot and cook. I'll leave the time up to you, since Crock Pots vary so widely in that area. Mine is pretty old and seems to keep getting stronger, so I find it's done in 4 hours on low. Really you just want enough time for the flavors to meld. The great thing about this recipe is it has the potential to be as healthy as you want it. I try not to eat too much salt, so I rinse all the beans and throw in some cumin, corinader, red pepper, and paprika in place of the taco seasoning. You can use ground beef in this recipe but I've used chicken and turkey and really can't taste a difference. I find this recipe makes enough to feed the two of us, plus maybe one more lunch. If you want to stretch it you could add another type of bean; I've used pinto beans and garbanzo and it worked out well.

Recipe by Jacki Wolfe

No comments: