1 1/2 C. rice (brown or white)
2 T. olive oil
2 med. onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 jalenpeno chile, chopped (remove ribs and seeds for less heat) (I freeze these so they last longer and are easier to handle)
1/2 t. ground cumin
coarse ground salt and pepper
3 T. tomato paste
3 cans (15 oz each) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
10 oz. frozen or canned corn; drained and rinsed if canned
6 scallions, thinly sliced
8 burrito-sized (10-inch) flour tortillas
2 C. shredded Montery Jack cheese (8 oz)
salsa and sour cream, if desired.
- Cook rice according to package directions, set aside
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, jalepeno, and cumin, season with salt and pepper
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 10-12 min. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 min.
- Add beans and 1 1/2 C. water, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally until thickened, 10-12 min. Add corn, cook to heat through, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in scallions.
- Heat tortillas according to package directions; fill with rice, bean mixture, and cheese. Serve immediately with salsa and sour cream, if desired.
- If freezing, freeze on a baking sheet individually, then freeze-wrap.
How to assemble:
- Mound 1/4 C. rice, 3/4 C. bean mixture, and 1/4 C. cheese on one side of tortilla. Fold, and hold in sides.
- Starting from filled end, holding sides in as you work, tightly roll into a bundle.
Reheating from frozen:
- Microwave and oven: Remove frozen burritos from wrap. Place on a microwave-safe plate, microwave for 2 minutes. Transfer to baking sheets, bake at 450 until crispy, about 10 minutes. This is considered the best way.
- Microwave only: Remove from plastic wrap. Place on microwave-safe plate, cover, and defrost on high power for 3-4 minutes; uncover, microwave on high 3-4 minutes longer.
- Oven only: Remove frozen burritos from wrap, rewrap individually in aluminum foil. Place on a baking sheet, bake at 450 for 40 minutes, remove foil and bake to crisp, 5-10 minutes. To reheat defrosted burritos, remove any wrapping and bake for 10 minutes.