1 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour (you could probably use all white-whole wheat flour, but I wasn't feeling adventerous)
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1-1/4 t. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (or vegetable oil, if you're not calorie counting)1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/3 cup Craisins (could also use raisins)
1/3 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 and grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
- Sift together flours, baking powder and soda, salt and spices.
- In a seprarate bowl, beat egg with brown sugar until well combined.
- Stir in vanilla, buttermilk, applesauce and pumpkin puree.
- Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and stir until just combined.
- Fold in nuts (if using) and Craisins.
- Pour mixture into muffin cups and bake approximately 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.